Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Golf-Ryder Cup

Colin Montgomerie has made it crystal clear what he is looking for from the Europeans at the WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship this week - bottle.
The opening round on Wednesday in Arizona contains three all-European tussles - Luke Donald against Graeme McDowell, Lee Westwood against Chris Wood and Oliver Wilson against Miguel Angel Jimenez and the Ryder Cup captain wants to see an early indication of how his squad are shaping up.
"I want to see guys who show guts and determination, guys who are maybe two or three down with four or five holes to play but who battle back to win," said Montgomerie.
Writing his latest captain's blog on the European Tour website he added: "It doesn't matter if that's in the first round or the final - trust me, I'll be taking note of it.
"Don't get me wrong. The eight and seven, seven and six wins are great and show a player is playing well, but it is the matches which are tight and where a player comes out the other side that are crucial - and the ones which could be key in shaping my team.
"For obvious reasons, I am intrigued to see how the Match Play unfolds.
"We had a finalist last year in Paul Casey, while Ross Fisher made the semi-finals and Rory McIlroy the quarters, so let's hope this year we can again have a good representation into the latter stages.
"This is a great opportunity for all European players to show me, in a match play format, just exactly what they can do and I will be watching every shot hit.
"I'll be looking out for the results of all of the European players, but also - and perhaps even more importantly - how they achieve those results."

No comments:

Post a Comment